Irish Youth Baroque Orchestra | Two Courses in 2021
We are delighted to be able to announce the details of two Irish Youth Baroque Orchestra courses that will take place in 2021.
- IYBO Online 2021 | 6 – 8 April 2021 | An introduction to historically informed performance practice with instrumental workshops presented by the Irish Baroque Orchestra & the Irish Association of Youth Orchestras | Places are available to musicians of any instrument who have an interest.
- IYBO Summer Course | 19 – 24 July 2021 | This course will be a performance course held in Dublin with a maximum of 15 players to ensure compliance with potential COVID-19 restrictions. We will only proceed with an in-person course if it is absolutely safe to do so.
Applications for the Irish Youth Baroque Orchestra are now closed. However, we may still have vacancies for certain instruments.
If you are interested, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: A video submission is required to apply for the IYBO Summer Course. Full details are below.
Please note: If you wish to apply for the summer course and have not previously taken part in any Irish Youth Baroque Orchestra activities, it is strongly advised that you participate in the IYBO Online 2021 course.
For more details on both courses, please see http://www.iybo.iayo.ie/about-the-orchestra/.
Course Information for IYBO Summer Course
- IYBO 2020 will be held in Wesley House, Leeson Park, Dublin from Monday 19th July – Saturday 24th July 2021.
- The fee for participation in the orchestra will be €200.
- The course is non-residential. However, limited accommodation is available at Wesley House for which there will be a charge of €100 to subsidise the overall cost of staying.
- IYBO will provide daytime meals to participants.
- Extra-curricular activities may be arranged on some days after the course.
- It is hoped for all participants to perform on period instruments provided by the IBO, IAYO and other partners if possible.
- Prior experience of historically informed performance practice is not a prerequisite for taking part in IYBO.
- We will only proceed with an in-person course if it is absolutely safe to do so.
Application Information for IYBO Summer Course
- Application to IYBO Summer Course is open to players of violin, viola, cello, double bass / violone, and harpsichord.
- Unfortunately, there will be no flutes or recorders accepted this year due to potential COVID-19 restrictions.
- Note: Due to a previous IYBO initiative, the two places for oboists have been filled for the 2021 IYBO Summer Course. However, if you are interested in baroque oboe, we would love to hear from you for future projects so please sign up to the IYBO Online Course in April 2021.
- The orchestra will consist of 15 players, including Artistic Director Claire Duff (Leader of the Irish Baroque Orchestra).
- Entry to the IYBO Summer Course is by application form and audition video submission of two contrasting pieces. Audition videos must be included with the application.
- Places will be offered on the basis of information provided in the application form, on video submissions and also, potentially, on communication with teachers.
- The IYBO is open to instrumentalists between the ages of 18 and 24. Exceptional players outside the age-range may also be considered.
- Players should have at least a grade 8 or equivalent playing standard.
- The IYBO is open to players living and studying in the 32 counties of Ireland and those with Irish citizenship living or studying abroad. A small number of foreign / guest players may be invited to create balance and make links with orchestras, education programmes and teaching institutions internationally.
- If you wish to apply for the summer course and have not previously taken part in any Irish Youth Baroque Orchestra activities, it is strongly advised that you participate in the IYBO Online 2021 course.
Auditions Videos for IYBO Summer Course
- Auditions for the IYBO Summer Course will be by submission of a video of two contrasting pieces. Video links must be submitted with the application form.
- Please provide a link to your audition video. YouTube or Vimeo work best. If you use another video sharing service, please make sure it does not require extra software downloads.
- For harpsichord / continuo, two movements, each from a baroque sonata or suite, will be provided to applicants up to four weeks before the submission date of the video. One movement will have a solo part and an unfigured bass in order to test the applicant’s ability to work out harmonies; the other a solo part and a figured bass in order to test the applicant’s ability to read figures. Ideally continuo players will accompany another instrumentalist but this is, of course, dependent on COVID-19 restrictions.
- For players of all other instruments, please play two contrasting movements in total, each by a different composer. One composer must be from the Baroque period. The other movement can be Baroque or Classical. Some examples of suggested repertoire are:
- Unaccompanied Bach sonatas / partitas / suites
- Solo Telemann Fantasias
- Corelli Violin Sonata
- Geminiani Cello Sonata
- Mozart Violin Concerto
- Telemann Viola Concerto
- Biber, Schmelzer, Castello sonatas
- If you wish to perform your audition video on a period instrument or with a period bow, please do so. However, it is recommended that you perform on the instrument you are most comfortable with. Prior experience of historically informed performance practice is not a prerequisite for taking part in IYBO.
Video Format & Quality
Please note that it is the quality of playing that we are interested in rather than the quality of the recording. A video recorded on a smartphone or tablet will be perfectly suitable.
YouTube or Vimeo work best. If you use another video sharing service, please make sure it does not require extra software downloads.
The video(s) need not be public – you can upload it as an unlisted video if you wish. This video will not be made public by us and will solely be used for the purpose of your audition.
If you have difficulty with uploading to YouTube or Vimeo, please contact the IAYO office at email@example.com or 021-4215185.
Course Information for IYBO Online April 2021
IYBO Online 2021 |6 – 8 April 2021 | Irish Youth Baroque Orchestra: Intro to Historical Performance Practice, presented by the IBO & IAYO.
For full information on IYBO Online, please see here.